Welcome to the 6th edition of From V to You, a weekly letter of love, inspiration, tips, tricks, and behind-the-scenes of how I’m building a business around my personal brand so you can too. If you’ve missed the previous letters, you can always read them here.
When’s the last time you had an earth shattering idea come to you?? What about the last time someone offered up a great idea for you??
Here’s the thing with ideas – Not all ideas are great. Not all ideas change the world. But some ideas actually make a difference because they made a difference to the person who came up with them.
For the last five years as a marketing agency owner, I’ve been blessed to both offer up my ideas and actually be responsible to execute them for my clients. But I’ve noticed something time and time again…
Self-Generated Ideas Last + Borrowed Ideas are Given Back
I was doing what most marketing experts do. Taking the best that my marketing knowledge and previous experience had given me and offering up my ideas to those that wanted to reach new levels in their business. Many of those borrowed ideas offered did in fact transform my clients’ businesses for the better but not all of them were kept long term. Why? Because:
- I hadn’t worked in my clients’ companies or verticals intimately as they had.
- I hadn’t spoken to their customers for years and years.
- I hadn’t been by their side as they grew their companies.
- I didn’t know what I didn’t know.
I was responsible for the execution, but I was really just executing my ideas, not theirs. I wasn’t helping them execute their OWN ideas, ideas that can only be born from their own inspiration and knowledge.
Here’s what I believe:
When you self-generate your own ideas, those ideas take life in the real world because you gave them life!
No one will ever know your business, services, products, and heart better than you will. Before we ever ask someone else to execute something for us, it is on us to make sure our brands, our offerings, our ideal customer avatars are truly our own creation. If not, we’ll end up frustrated again and again as we hop from idea to idea that others have prescribed for us but that we didn’t self-generate. We need to find our own statue of David within the marble of our lives:
Let’s Start Excavating Your Best Ideas
There’s still time to register for my upcoming masterclass on Wednesday – free + virtual!
This is a Must-Attend If…
- Your life and business could be more successful by your name being better known, and your brand better clarified.
- You DON’T yet have a clear picture of what your personal brand is all about (most of us don’t when we first start).
- You’ve been trying to fully develop what your personal brand is for months (or years), but despite bursts of inspiration, you keep falling short in execution.
Until our class on Wednesday,
Ps. If there’s someone in your life who could use this in theirs, please forward my letter so they can subscribe. You never know whose life you could change.